At Corvian, while we certainly teach isolated skills, we strive to continuously give students meaningful and purposeful opportunities to use those newly learned skills. All students at all grade levels are always participating in multi-disciplinary, integrated units of study that give the students an opportunity to participate in meaningful, purposeful and relevant studies. Rather than memorizing isolated facts, students will ponder and reflect upon big ideas that truly matter in the larger picture of life. For every unit, there are one or two of the core commonalities studied as threads that tie our learning together. We adhere to the brain research that supports helping students find connections across all learning.
We explore how we depend on and help other people/cultures as we focus on honoring, respecting, and appreciating that relationship.
Units of Study
Inventors Convention: Back in Time
- Inventors: Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, and Henry Ford
The Artist in Me
- Van Gogh, Romero Britto, da Vinci, and Michelangelo
The Author in Me
- Jan Brett, Robert Munsch, Tomie DePaola, and Jack Prelutsky
Kaleidoscope of Cultures: Dances, Music and Art throughout the world
- Australia, Europe, Asia and Africa
For detailed NC Standards information, please visit www.ncpublicschools.org/curriculum/
- Classic Theatre Productions, Children's Theater, and In-house Cultural programs